Maintenance and Tips Regarding Your Fireplace
With the weather getting colder by the day, now is the TIME TO MAKE SURE YOUR FIREPLACE IS IN PROPER WORKING ORDER. Along with the maintenance of the chimney and fireplace, here are some other areas to be aware of when using your fireplace.
1. Make sure the buildup of soot lining the chimney is minimal. It might require having a professional cleaning it if you do not have the proper tools and it has never been done.
2. Remove any excess amount of ashes at the bottom of the fireplace. Some fireplaces have a small trap door which allows ashes to collect and filter to the outside of the fireplace. If this is the case, make sure to remove ashes there too.
3. Have a fire screen to help prevent sparks from flying onto your carpet, rugs or hardwood floor.
4. If you have a gas starter, make sure to turn off when done.
5. Use long matches or an automatic flame starter when lighting a gas fireplace.
6. Have a small fire extinguisher handy just in case.
7. Never leave a fire lit before going to bed or leaving the house.