Ways to Save Money and be Green
With individuals and families trying to cut back on expenses in today’s economic climate, I thought it would be a good idea to point out some EASY IDEAS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO SAVE MONEY. Steps that individually seem small, but taken together will add to bigger savings. Some are GREEN-friendly, which is also good.
1. Pay bills online – this saves on stamps and paper. This is a new one for me.
2. Buy a water purifier – use this instead of buying water in plastic bottles.
3. Use Skype – this is an online FREE webcam that lets you talk to friends and relatives.
4. Energy saving light bulbs – in the long run this cuts on energy cost.
5. Buy store brand products – many times they are just as superior as name brand products and for a fraction of the cost.
6. Make coffee/tea at home – with some places charging more than a $1 a cup; it’s just a smarter move. But if you do have coffee on the go, some establishments give a discount for bring in your own reusable mug.
7. Buy food in bulk at large warehouse stores – this is a tricky one if you end up wasting a lot of food, but if you’re smart, this could be a HUGE saving’s idea.
8. Get rid of the TV – today you can see so many movies and television shows online. Most major networks have their own links to free episodes and then there’s always places like Fancast or Hulu.
9. Reusable grocery bag – some places are now starting to charge for bag usage.
10. Save electricity – Pennies add up when you turn off fans, air conditioners and lights when not in use. Also unplug appliances and other devices you hardly use. This is just wasted money and energy.