More and more people are becoming aware of the damage sun can do to their skin. This time of year, the sun is more intense with hotter temperatures and longer days of sunlight. Here are a few tips to help in the protection of your skin from the damaging SUV rays of Mr. Sunshine.
1. Use a high SPF in our suntan lotion or spray. The higher the number the greater projection. Companies now even make sun blocks up to 100.
2. If swimming or in the water, make sure to re-apply lotion if needed or buy one that is water-resistant. This also applies for outdoor activities where you might be sweating a lot.
3. The more clothes you have covering your skin the better off you are.
4. Wear sunglasses. Make sure the glasses are UV and if possible cover the sides of your eyes as well.
5. Hats with wide brims help block out sun which is perfect for the beach, gardening or outdoor activities or exercise.
6. Keep time in the sun limited during peak sun intensity. Usually this is between 11am to 2pm.
7. After coming out of the sun, try to shower or bathe to add moisture back to your skin. Then apply lotion afterward. If burnt, Noxzema or natural aloe can be used or, if more severe, a medicated cooling cream.
Simple measures now can save you sun problems in the future. Have fun but be smart.