How to Lay Stone For Your Walkways
Stone or slate walkways around your home or garden are relatively easy to construct and adds a welcoming natural element. Depending on how hard the soil is (might require a pick-axe or shovel) a spade and level should be all the tools needed to do the job.
1. Determine where you want the walkway or path to go. Also determine which stones will be used. I suggest actually lying them out first.
2. Dig up dirt, creating a depth for walk area that is the size you want. The top of the stone/slate should lay flat with the ground.
3. This stepping stone walkway may take more than one large stone for each step and spacing between steps is important as well to make the walkway comfortable for foot traffic.
4. Using the excess dirt, cover around the edges of the stone. Then using your foot, add pressure to help sink the stone into the ground.
5. When laying the next stone, place a level across both stones to insure that the stones are laying straight and level.