Planting Flower Bulbs
With September here, now is the time to start thinking about spring; for planting tulips that is. AUTUMN IS THE IDEAL TIME TO PLANT BULBS. Late September and October are the best months for planting, but you can go as late as December depending on frost conditions. There are a wide array of bulbs to choose from such as daffodils, tulips, irises, dahlias and wild lilies to name a few. To help in a beautiful ground arrangement come springtime, here are some simple tips to take when you plant bulbs. Also take note this is an ideal time to plant shrubs, too.
1. If you are not going to plant right away, store in a cool, dry place.
2. Best to plant in full to partial sun.
3. Pick an arrangement on the ground first before actually planting. You can group or plant separately.
4. Know your bulb! Determine if best to plant face up or face down. The package might say or ask the person at the nursery. Usually if it has roots (downward); if teardrop shape usually (up).
5. Hole should be 3x deep than the actually bulb. Add fertilize /compost before planting if needed.
6. Place desired amount of bulb/bulbs in hole.
7. Cover with soil and water thoroughly.
8. Depending on the amount of rain, you might need to water at least once a month.