Sausage and Pumpernickel Stuffing
The first time I served this SAUSAGE AND PUMPERNICKEL STUFFING my mom was insistent on getting the recipe. She thought it was probably the best stuffing she had ever had.
4 cups pumpernickel bread, cubed
2 cups french bread, cubed
2 red apples, diced
1 cup walnuts
6 celery stalks
1 12/ cup sausage
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 medium yellow onion
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Let bread sit out overnight so it can get hard or lightly toast in oven.
2. In a small saucepan, saute onions and sausage together. Drain any excess grease.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine both types of bread, apples, walnuts, celery, sausage and onions. Add salt and pepper. Stir ingredients.
4. Stir in butter and chicken broth
5. Add to the cavity of bird or if cooking alone, bake at 350 degrees in casserole dish for an hour
SERVES: 5-6 | TIME: 1 HOUR 15 minutes.